Monday, December 17, 2012

Bronchitis. No, thank you.

As my Austrian doctor told me, "The cold air and cigarette smoke is hard on Americans their first winter here."  So, stuck mainly indoors is how I have been for the last week. I have never had bronchitis, and I never want it again.

I will pause in order that those of you who know me can pen a sympathy note to Tony for having to put up with me for help me recover over the last week.

However did I amuse myself during this time, you may ask?  Well, when I wasn't cleaning the grout on the kitchen floor tiles, I was making cookies. Thumbing through my 1968 "Time Life Series Recipes: The Cooking of Vienna's Empire" cookbook, I chose vanille kipferl, tiny crescent-shaped shortbread-like cookies that my family promptly devoured.
56 cookies were consumed in less than 24 hours. That's my family. My encore was a poppyseed cake later in the week that is a mere crumbly shadow of its former self, too.
I wrapped a couple of presents. 
Clayton Theodore, in the meanwhile, gave up on me and settled in for a long winters' nap.
My goal was to be well enough to not disrupt Anna Grace's violin recital this past weekend. I am happy to report that I made good on keeping the seal-barking to a hush-hush during the Gavotte in D Major violin duo performed by my beautiful daughter (parental bias notwithstanding) and her instructor.
And so today, Monday, I awoke with high hopes for a trek to Kahlenberg with Clayton Theodore. Alas, the paths that were not icy and slippery, were instead muddy and slippery. Not to mention the fog. Neither of us had a great time, and we didn't make it to the top, but there's always tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.