Monday, February 25, 2013

It's Off to School I Go

Today was my first day of class, and I'm already a week behind. Class started last week while I was a truant out on holiday.  And what subject will occupy my time twice weekly from 11:45 to 13:00, right in the middle of lunch?

Beginning Arabic.  Yes, of course I'm bored playing Trailing Spouse already; it's too easy. I mastered running the house years ago in English with a full time career, so it really only took me a couple of months here in German. This should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me. Just look at my agenda for this week--that's what, three, maybe four hours (if I go with the deep conditioner on my hair at the salon) of excitement?
Grocery shopping
Tick Shot (a perk of living in the Vienna Woods)
Hair Appointment
Getting silver jewelry cleaned
Taking car to Volvo dealer for a factory recall on the windshield wiper thingamajig

After running the house, chauffeuring the children, travel planning, vineyard hiking, attending coffee outings, and restoring America's culinary dignity, let's just say I've got a little intellectual capital to spare. I was waitlisted for an Arabic language class offered by the equivalent of the community center here for the fall; too bad, really, because learning Arabic from a German speaking teacher could have been a hoot, so I registered for a course taught at the UN.

Armed with a snack and arriving 10 minutes early, I was hoping for worksheets like this.
No such luck. The teacher gave me approximately 5 minutes to "look over" last week's content before she started calling on me to conjugate the alphabet, or something.  When, in my second or third attempt, I successfully vowelized Alif, and was complimented for my fine handwriting of the words on the board (thanks, mom!), Philipe sitting to my right gave me the evil stink-eye. Guess I won't be study-buddy with him.

Now, I bid you all Ma'a salama. I have homework to complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.